Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Today is day 2 of constant rain from the tropical storm. I have to say I'm totally enjoying it!
I trained clients this morning, but got done early and met the hubs at local thrift store for some bargain hunting on a few projects I've been wanting to try!
Fall Craft-O-Rama 2010 began Labor Day weekend at my sister's with two full, gloriously infuriating days of Scrappin'. We had the best time, comparing pages, laughing and having girl time.
Then, two more days spent with my sis-n-law, (that title is lame, she is way more of a BFF), shopping for plants and fall decor! I planted a ton of stuff, mostly herbs, and a few vegetables...(baby spinach and thyme seeds already sprouting!!)

After all that, of course, I got bored. So I stumbled on some crafty blogs. These girls ROCK! My creative juices starting pouring harder than its raining and I decided I wanted to try my hand at some furniture projects...painting, sanding, refinishing, not in that order...

Sooo thats why the hubs and I were thrifing today! And what, you ask, did we find?????
I'll tell ya. Nothing. but. awesomeness. Baby crib. check. super cute stool, check. other nick nacks I simply must show you to believe. Check! I feel like I've found a whole new world. My eyes have been opened, and that ten year old girl that first discovered poetry that I thought was no more, has been UNLEASHED!

I couldn't wait to get home and get to work on my projects, but with all this rain, there was no way I could start today. The next obvious thing was to call Steph, (sis-n-law/BFF...must find snazzy blogland title for her...Check out her blog at williamthomasdonnell.blogspot.com and see my cutie pie nephew!) and see what she was doing for lunch. "What's that? You wanna go to a thrift store? Ok, if I HAVE to!"
After we twisted each other's arms to go during her lunchbreak I picked her up and off we went. And what, you ask, did we find? MORE AWESOMENESS. I'm not sure if the Thrifting Fairies came out on my first two trips just to lure me in or what, but I can't believe my luck!

I am looking for old wood to make a small fence like this one I saw at dejavucrafts.blogspot.com:Isn't it fantastic? Well, we walk in and leaning against a wall is a two-picket fenced mirror. It was like the thrifting fairies had flown in ahead of me and put it right there in the store. I couldn't believe it.
I also scored two shelves that I'll be using on the patio after a few coats of paint ;-)

And then.....yep. there's more. We were headed back to her office when I heard Steph say something about "is that a thrift store?" Well, one stomp on the brake and a hard right turn later we stumbled into thrift store heaven. I got three planters, a finial, (CRAZY about finials) and some wall decor.
She had the cutest stuff ever, and it was in, get this, the back of a nail/hair salon. Yes, ma'am. We couldn't believe it either. Will definitely be returning. Now THAT's how you decorate on a budget!

So today, Wednesday, has been an awesome day, and the past week even better. Just getting to spend so much quality time with my sister, and sis-n-law, over super fun projects and thrifting was such a joy. I figure if anyone ever asks me how to make friends I'd probably say, A. ask me, I love making new friends!
B. start crafting, start a hobby and find others that are interested as well. Its an instant conversation, and and easy way to spend time together while doing something you enjoy. God is good!

2 comments:

  1. Dang, your a thrift store QUEEN> We only have 1 thriftstore in are litte town. BOoo! im glad and happy that i can inspire you! Thanks so much! keep checking in for more.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great...what a creative display! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete